Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Voyeurism of Street Style

Source
How do these bloggers do it? 

My fascination with street style started back in middle school with sites like FRUiTS and Style Arena. I was just beginning my foray into Japanese pop culture (Hana Yori Dango? Uzumaki? Fruits Basket? Anyone? No? Ok.) and I was excited to see the way the people featured were expressing themselves sartorially. The creativity of the outfits, the personality expressed in their blurbs, and the authenticity of the photos made a lasting impression on me. As usual, it didn't take long for the rest of the world to catch on to the bad-assery going on in Japan and then hop on the bandwagon.

It's 2014 and I'm sure I'm not the only who's noticed the increasing use of street style shots on blogs, in ad campaigns, and even in high fashion editorials. But it's a different type of street style, more manufactured less spontaneous. With blogs like The Sartorialist allegedly backing this aesthetic  (read comments here), could it be that long gone are the days of authentic street style?

I recently shot a street style mini editorial for a blogger feature and dear God, how do some of these bloggers do it? How do they pose so effortlessly? Every pose so perfectly executed to give the appearance that a sartorialist's dream just so happened to be walking down the street when the camera went *click*. 


For me, it's more like - *click*


I literally wanted to beg for forgiveness from the amazing ladies shooting me because my awkwardness has zero chill. It's hard to pretend as if someone isn't taking photos of you when, well, someone is taking photos of you. At least for me it is.

And why are we so obsessed with watching people even if especially if they don't know they are being watched, more so if they are good looking and well dressed? This new form of manufactured spontaneity leaves little to the imagination. I miss the days when fantasy fashion editorials reigned. Spreads complete with a theme and immaculately placed props. At least then it was easy to see the line between fantasy and reality. But in a world that continues to blur that line (think scripted "reality" tv), it's no surprise street style shots have fast become the go-to for fashion juggernauts and newbies alike. What do you think about street style fashion photography?



2 comments:

  1. I love love love FRUiTS and Spank! and all that fun stuff. And I totally understand the awkwardness with zero chill. I. FEEL. YOU. Especially since my camera is kind of a piece of shit powershot and everything haha.

    Totally off topic, BUT I will be at the mini pops Dec. 14 in Houston and I plan on experimenting with customizing heels and boots with my pompoms ;) and a bunch of other fun stuff~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss! I can't believe they don't get the credit for being one of the firsts to do real street style. Honestly I've decided to stop smiling in photos all together. Embracing my resting bitch face -__-

      That sounds so perfect~
      Can you send me a facebook invite or eventbrite link?

      Delete